The Bulungula Incubator
Bulungula College is an initiative of the Bulungula Incubator. The Bulungula Incubator was established in 2007 and aims to address the challenges of rural poverty. They design and implement good rural developmental ideas that contribute to the creation of prosperous and sustainable rural communities. The Bulungula Incubator currently has successful interventions ‘Conception to Career’ programmes in Education, Health, and Sustainable Livelihoods, including:
- health before and during pregnancy;
- health through-out life;
- early childhood development in the home
- from ages 0 – 3;
- award winning centre-based preschools from 3- 6 years;
- online learning and afterschool support programmes for primary schools;
- vocational opportunities for unemployed youth; and
- income-generating opportunities in small-scale farming.
Using data from the surrounding schools in 2015, we found that approximately 95% of our learners in the area do not ever complete Grade 12. Only a handful of people have ever succeeded in achieving their final school year certificate. It was clear that there is a gap in the offerings of the Bulungula Incubator for high school youth.